Subject: Re: FR
From: Robert Cohen <[email-masked]>
To: Kier Darby <[email-masked]>
Cc: Lightwave Post <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 13:00:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 18 Oct 1995, Kier Darby wrote:

> With all this talk about field rendering at the present, I'd like to pose 
> a REALLY nerdy question and ask someone to explain in plain English quite 
> what FR achieves...
> 
> Anyone?

No question is a nerdy one ;)  Video frames are comprised of two "sub 
frames" called fields.  In order to simulate smooth movement, the two 
fields are "interlaced" together and essentially provide twice the 
movement information as a single frame with like fields.  This is why you 
will see jittering images when viewing a still frame which has been 
rendered with field mode on, if it contained fast mostion which is near 
the camera.  You would see the same flicker contained in a frame grab of 
live video if the motion was fast and near the camera.  In fact, this is 
what the motion removal function of the Video Toaster deals with when 
averaging out the image information contained in such a video grab.  

So, if you are going to animate an object which passes horizontally past 
your virtual camera, and this object is relativly near the camera, you 
would most likly benefit from the use of FR ;))

I hope this helps

***************************************************************************

Robert Cohen / Ocean Township NJ	Lightwave Animator / Video Editor

  		[email-masked] / [email-masked]

***************************************************************************

--
Robert Cohen <[email-masked]> sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]